I’m a bit behind… I’ve been trying to make one more set, one more bead, one more whatever, for the amount of effort required for listing things on etsy. Which probably isn’t much for a responsible person. But me, I’m not so good at doing un-fun stuff. Like opening mail. I’m terrible about opening mail when I get it. If it doesn’t look like a bill I just set it down somewhere. When/if I finally clean, I gather up all the offending mail from its various spots and put it on my desk and I still don’t open it. So today, before I could even get to my keyboard, I had to eliminate an enormous pile of papers that turned out to be 95% pointless and a gratuitous waste of trees. The other 5% were bills. Before anyone suggests that I switch to paperless billing, I should mention that I need paper bills because I’ll forget to pay them otherwise. Typical me. “Gimme only the paper that I want and none of the paper I don’t want.”
I’ve had many distractions these days, some chosen, some not. I used to be so good at making beads all the time! I was better at staying ahead of things. Now… sometimes I miss the silence, the days and days without leaving the house or speaking to anyone on the phone… but mostly I don’t. Lately, I’ve been pretty good, though – about both trying new things and about writing my bead/jewelry ideas down as they come to me. (I actually made a cheese spread. 5 years ago I would have made a gaggy face at the mere suggestion of it.) But finding the thrill in turning the kiln on to warm up some nights is overcome by my appetite for other things – mainly jewelry making. Which may not be a bad thing, but to me, it feels more like rebellion than anything else. I feel like I’m shirking my duties as head glass melter around here, and the cats aren’t gonna fill in for me. My previously reliable muse is leading me somewhere else. Astray? Or exactly where I need to go?
Should you follow your muse into the dark and creepy woods if that is where Muse is obviously headed? What if Muse ducks into a truck stop restroom? Or buys a one-way to Denver? Muse isn’t putting its hand on a spinning saw blade or jumping in front of a bus. These are simply unknown destinations; the unknown isn’t as fraught with danger or as blindingly, boringly mountainous as long as I don’t overthink and make assumptions of danger and boredom. Maybe Muse should be followed faithfully wherever it goes, even if only out of curiosity, with the fact in mind that I can turn around and go home whenever I want. You’ll see a few of the results of my curiosity on Etsy later today. Fingers crossed I don’t end up in Denver.
See you guys later today!